Congratulations on your new baby! You’re not going to regret these once in a lifetime newborn photos. This stage of life is so precious and so fleeting too. Before you know it your sweet little babe will be a walking, talking toddler but you will have these photos forever. Here are some tips to prepare for your newborn session so that we can create amazing images together.
How to Prepare for your Newborn Session
When to book
The best time to book your newborn session is before you have your baby. This is because the best time to have your newborn photos done is between 10 and 14 days old.
But what if my due date changes? Not to worry! We plan for this and know it’s a possibility. Once your baby is born you can give me a call and we will set a concrete appointment time within the first 14 days.
However, if you have already had your baby don’t worry! Get in touch with me asap and we will see what we can do. I’ve photographed babies who were older.
4 Things To Do the Day Of Your Session
- Keep baby awake the best you can for 1-2 hours before session. I want a sleepy baby!
- Dress baby in loose fitting clothing and a keep their diaper a little looser than usual. This will prevent lines and indentations in babies skin for those nudie shots!
- If you live less than 30 minutes from the studio: feed baby right before you leave.
If you live MORE than 30 minutes from the studio: wait to feed your baby until you get here.
- Once you arrive, leave baby in a carrier. We don’t want to disturb them until we have to. 🙂
What to Bring
- Bring a pacifier if you’re not opposed to using one.
They help if the baby needs a quick sooth while we’re adjusting poses or props.
- Bring lots of formula even if baby just ate.
It’s totally normal for babies to be extra hungry during their session. Having their portraits taken is a lot of work.
- Bring any special items you would like photographed.
Just be sure to let me know before the session so I can prepare accordingly!
Order of Shots
We plan photos in a very specific order and there is a reason for this. First we will start with siblings, family members, mom, and dad. This is because the studio is very warm, over 85 degrees to ensure that baby is comfortable.
- Baby Alone
- Siblings (If one parent wants to come with baby first, we can call to have the siblings brought over. Sometimes it takes a few hours to get the baby alone shots)
- Mom, Dad alone with baby and together
Once photos are done siblings can go watch tv while we get parent shots! Use this time to sit back and relax. There are only a few times that I need parents help or to be my “assistant” on a shot.
Relax, Relax, Relax
Speaking of relaxing, make sure you mommas don’t stress too hard before the session. The
baby feels every bit of it, and will have a harder time relaxing.
Read the FAQs
Before your session be sure to check out my Newborn Session FAQs got answers to questions like what to wear, how to get here and when to expect your images! Haven’t booked yet? Check out the info on Sarah Hedden Photography Maternity and Newborn Sessions: HERE 🙂